[evlatests] 3bit vs 8bit flux transfer

rperley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Jan 28 11:06:15 EST 2021

I fear something else is amiss with ea06, as the vertical beam profiles
at some bands (but not all) are highly distorted.

Regarding stability -- there is abundant evidence that the Tcals (and
efficiencies) are indeed very, very stable.  The 'gain histograms' I
made on Tuesday are unchanged (in a statistical sense --- I haven't
attempted a one-by-one comparison) with those I made about eight years
ago.

In my opinion, we would do well to 'tighten up' the histograms by
suitable adjustment of the Tcal values (or efficiencies, if we think
appropriate).  After doing this, accurat flux calibration could easily
be done with a single eight-bit observation on any calibrator.  No need
for a long journey to an 'absolute' standard (which is most cases means
hoping it hasn't changed...)

I'll spend some time today comparing 'absolute' 3-bit vs 8-bit with the
data I have.  I expect good results, as the observations were made at
the same elevation of sources with about the same flux.  So this may not
be too meaningful in the general case (varying elevations, and widely
varying input power).

Rick