[evlatests] ea02 at X-band -- poor switched power

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Jul 23 11:35:30 EDT 2013

    The switched power system reports that ea02 has a very high system
temperature across all of X-band -- a few hundred Kelvin.  But perusal
of the data clearly shows that the problem is not in the receiver's
sensitivity, but in the switched power itself.  The switched power value
is about 20 'counts' -- about 1/10 or normal.  This would be expected if
the system temperature really was 10 times too high.  But the sum power
increments by exactly the normal value when going on a strong source
(3C84 in my case).  The augmentation in total power for ea02 when moving
to 3C84 is by about 10% -- exactly the same as every other X-band antenna.

    So the problem is in the switched power, which for some reason is
only delivering 1/10 of what it should (or in the synchronous
demodulation, I suppose).  The problem is in both IFs, and in both
polarizations.