[evlatests] New geostationary RFI band found ... in X-band

Dan Mertely dmertely at nrao.edu
Thu Jul 11 20:54:13 EDT 2013

Hi Rick.  Yes, the commercial "Ku" band satellite downlink is from
10.7-12.7 GHz.  The strongest of these are those in the "Broadcast
Satellite Service" (BSS) which ranges from 12.2-12.7 GHz.  (Our very
own API utilizes one of the non-broadcast satellites in the lower
range, the SES-1 satellite, with a beacon we use @ 11.701 GHz.)

The breakdown of the space-to-earth (S2E) Ku band is:
10.7-11.7 GHz: (Fixed Satellite, S2E)+ (Terrestrial Fixed Microwave)
11.7-12.2 GHz: (Fixed Satellite, S2E)
12.2-12.7 GHz: (Fixed Broadcasting Satellite)
-Mert