[evlatests] New geostationary RFI band found ... in X-band

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Jul 11 16:49:33 EDT 2013

    The flux density data have clear revealed another zone of
significant RFI.  It is not seen on sources more than ~20 degrees from
the 'Clarke Belt' declination, so I deduce that the source is likely a
geostationary satellite.  It is only seen on a small fraction of scans
of those sources within the 'danger zone' -- so I conclude that only
one, or perhaps two satellites are present.  This RFI is nowhere near as
strong as other geostationary downlinks.

    The frequency band is from 10970 to 11200 MHz.

    Dan:  Can you identify the source?