[evlatests] [evla-sw-discuss] parameter simplification for the VHF receivers

Frazer Owen fowen at nrao.edu
Fri Jun 29 16:24:02 EDT 2012

Bryan Butler wrote:
> problem is, if we change this at the executor, MCAF will never know.
> that's what i'm concerned about.  now, if it's *always* the same, then i
> guess we could program it into MCAF but those kinds of hard-coded
> solutions always concern me (and i know i'm not alone!).  i guess we
> could overload the intents, yet again, and add one for this kind of thing.
>
> 	-bryan
>

> Michael Rupen wrote, On 6/29/12 12:48 PM:
>
>> In the SDM, the Feed Table has separate rows for each Spectral Window.
>> Thus one can track the feeds & receivers independently for each SpW, which
>> is what we want. This would require a change in MCAF, which currently
>> assumes all SpWs in the same configuration use the same receiver. That's
>> not a big deal, except the Executor (or someone) has to tell MCAF which
>> SpW use which receiver/feed; or we embed the knowledge that 0-100 MHz
>> (say) is 4-band or whatever, in MCAF itself.
>>
>> Michael

    The situation is complicated. I would think the possibility of
having two (or eventually three) receivers added together to produce one
input band for the correlator probably never came up. The 4 and P-band
part of Lowband have different power levels (although we are trying to
get then to be close on the sky) and different  T_cals (~ 10X
different). We probably will have one default observing set up which
delivers both bands  in some number of subbands and channelization,
e.g., one subband of 32 MHz with 1024 channels for 4-band and three
subbands of 128 MHz with 512  channels. However, it seems clear that
other choices would be made for some experiments.  So we can't just
reserve certain subbands for 4 and others for P. Furthermore, since the
T_cals are very different (as well as T_sys), more than one cal value
seems necessary.  Furthermore the potential exist to add 2-band to the
system (120-170 MHz) with a third set of parameters.  (see
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~pharden/LBR/lbr.htm for more details)

    It also probably makes sense in some circumstances to use one IF for
4band and the other for P-band. The possibility also exists, at least in
theory, to observe with one IF for lowband and the other for one of the
higher frequency, standard EVLA receivers. Jim Jackson and Chuck Kutz
have written a memo about this. I am not sure this really makes sense
but the NRL folks are very keen on doing this. See EVLA memo 155.

---Frazer