[evlatests] Problems with Shadowing

George Moellenbrock gmoellen at nrao.edu
Wed Nov 12 15:51:16 EST 2008

Rick, Eric-

If the sign convention for the w coordinate is consistently applied, then
this
sign can be used to determine which antenna (first or second in the
baseline)
should be flagged as the shadowed one  (if the w axis is positive toward
the sky, then the 2nd antenna in the baseline is the shadowed one when w
is positive---I think).  Since AIPS FILLM re-sorts ("flips") baselines in
order to guarantee
that the lower numbered antenna always comes first (so the ant numbers can
be the
indices), there is the potential for getting this backwards, as you've
observed.   E.g.,
does the sign of w get reversed when a baseline is flipped?

This is not unlike the nominal sensitivity error discovered in FILLM a few
months
ago, wherein ancilliary info (in that case, the nom sens data) wasn't
properly flipped
when the data was flipped.

-George