[Difx-users] Correlating Overlapping Bands {External}

Jan Florian Wagner jwagner105 at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 23 05:08:48 EST 2022

Hi Joe,

for a VEX-derived plot of frequency bands, you can use a DiFX utility under
trunk /sites/MPIfR/vex/plotVexChannels.py

The band plot could help you to visualize where the bands are, how they
overlap, and what the correct zoom band definitions could be, that fall
entirely in a recorded band at all stations.

If the zoom definitions look okay and fall inside recorded bands, then
another cause for the "Cannot find a parent freq" error can an unsuitable
spectral resolution. The error is somewhat misleading in that case.

For correlating experiments with ALMA for example, where recorded bands are
like

chan_def = &W : 87210.453125 MHz : L : 62.5 MHz : &CH01 : &BBC07 : &cp;
chan_def = &W : 87151.859375 MHz : L : 62.5 MHz : &CH02 : &BBC07 : &cp;

a correspondingly fine v2d  FFTSpecRes setting is required, as below,
otherwise ALMA bands are not considered for Zoom correlation, despite the
zoom band definition nominally falling into a ALMA recorded band

SETUP setupDefault
{
  tInt = 0.4
  FFTSpecRes =  0.0156250