[Difx-users] Correlating Overlapping Bands {External}

Adam Deller adeller at astro.swin.edu.au
Tue Feb 22 16:42:16 EST 2022

Hi Joe,

I agree with Chris - please send through a vex file + v2d file.
Correlating complex data with real data should be fine, so I expect it
might be an issue with compatibility of channel edge alignment or channel
width or something. Unfortunately, specifying zoom bands correctly can be a
bit tricky!

Cheers,
Adam

On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 at 07:30, Phillips, Chris (S&A, Marsfield) via
Difx-users <difx-users at listmgr.nrao.edu> wrote:

> Hi Joe
>
> This is really impossible to say without seeing the config files. Best to
> to tar up the minimum set of files needed to run vex2difx (the .vex and
> .v2d files at least and any files they refer to (e.g. filelists)
>
> Cheers
> Chris
>
> > On 23 Feb 2022, at 04:50, Joe Skeens via Difx-users <
> difx-users at listmgr.nrao.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm attempting to correlate data coming from two different types of
> antennas with different (but overlapping) frequency bands, and I'm having
> some trouble with setting up a zoom section in the v2d file to do this.
> >
> > As it stands, when running vex2difx, I get a warning saying, "Cannot
> find a parent freq for zoom band X of datastream Y for antenna Z," and the
> zoom band is dropped, leading to invalid records when the correlation
> proceeds. I've tried the ANTENNA parameters addZoomFreq and zoom, and both
> seem to lead to this outcome. I see in the freqId parameter in the SETUP
> section a blurb about selecting a parent band, but I'm not sure how this is
> applied--after selecting the freqIds of interest, there's no change in the
> warning message. (As a note, I have to select the freqIds of both antennas
> here because I'm unsure of how to apply different setups for different
> antennas to a single source if that is possible).
> >
> > Am I committing an obvious blunder here or missing something in my
> setup? I should also note that I'm attempting to correlate complex data
> with real data, is this something that is supported in the current version
> of DiFX, or do I need to convert one of my datasets for compatibility? Any
> advice/expertise would be greatly appreciated!
> >
> > Best,
> > Joe

Prof. Adam Deller
Centre for Astrophysics & Supercomputing
Swinburne University of Technology
John St, Hawthorn VIC 3122 Australia
phone: +61 3 9214 5307
fax: +61 3 9214 8797