[Difx-users] VDIF Benchmarking {External}

Phillips, Chris (S&A, Marsfield) Chris.Phillips at csiro.au
Mon Nov 29 20:06:38 EST 2021

Hi Paul,

I would *highly* recommend you initially test vlbi_fake is producing the VDIF data you expect. Try running it independently with some sort of VDIF (or generic) UDP receiver to test. I have some of my own code you can use if you don’t have anything yourself.

A few other suggestions/comments:

  *   Avoid 5000 byte VDIF frames. That is some hang up from Mark5B 10K frames I think and has no purpose. Something closer to 8k (e.g. 8000 pr 8192 + header) makes more sense. Try “9000”.
  *   Vlbi_fake chooses a frame size which makes sense based on the data rate AND networking parameters, the 5000 probably include VDIF header and maybe network headers (I forget). You do need to setup. DIFX to match the frame size vlbi_fake uses, so some experimentation may ne needed
  *   Are you sure “Jumbo frames” are enabled (ie 9000 byte MTU enabled everywhere)
  *   Make sure the “threads” usage matches what you expect

Cheers
Chris