[Difx-users] Wrapping up the 12th DiFX users and developers meeting

Adam Deller adeller at astro.swin.edu.au
Sun Sep 9 20:52:53 EDT 2018

Hi everyone,

The DiFX gathering at Wettzell has dispersed after a very enjoyable and
successful meeting over the past week. With over 30 attendees, it was one
of the biggest in a long time - possibly ever.  On behalf of all the
attendees, I'd like to extend a very grateful thanks to Christian, Thomas,
and Torben, our intrepid organisers and hosts.  It was really a fantastic
venue and extremely well organised!

There was a lot of progress during the week as people committed various
updates.  Towards the end of the meeting, we summarised the list of
ongoing/desired DiFX development activities at
https://www.atnf.csiro.au/vlbi/dokuwiki/doku.php/difx/todo/; DiFX users
should feel free to suggest additions (or even better, to cross off
completed items!) throughout the year.  If you need write access to the
wiki, please contact Cormac Reynolds (Corman.Reynolds at csiro.au).

There was some discussion pertinent to next year's workshop that I'd like
to share here:

* Do we want to focus on a particular theme?  This year there was an
informal focus on DiFX for geodesy, which was very productive.  Some
suggestions for a theme next year included high frequency VLBI (the EHT),
eVLBI, or global VLBI observations.  Please add to this list, if you have
ideas, or add your support to a particular idea.
* While it is probably a little early to lock down a specific venue, a few
potential hosts were floated:
 - Swinburne has never hosted and the meeting hasn't been to Australia for
a while.
 - Likewise, it's been while since we've been to North America: Socorro and
Minneapolis could be potential sites.
 - We didn't get to discuss this with Jakob and Andreas before they left,
but perhaps TU Wien, who have been quite active DiFX users, would be
interested to host?
* Meeting time: is everyone still happy with September/October?  Is there
animo to attach the meeting to the IVTW, as has been done in the past?  In
any case, I suggest we wait until Jan/Feb 2019 until the possible location
and time of the IVTW is known before making any firm decisions, but
thoughts on the meeting date are also welcomed.

Please send any replies through to difx-users, and I look forward to
another productive year.

Happy correlating,
Adam

--