[comm] Communications meeting Wednesday

James Robnett jrobnett at nrao.edu
Wed Apr 28 15:32:16 EDT 2010

Gareth Hunt wrote:
> Guys,
>
> 2. (the real one for this group) When will there be a 1 Gbit (tunnelled)
> link for data SOC->CV?

    Not sure,  routing between the two test nodes doesn't seem to be
working.  It apparently worked at least from CV to AOC while I was
away but doesn't currently work from AOC to CV (reciprocal may still
work).

    Having a test tunnel is one thing,  figuring out what should always
tunnel is another.  What we really need is the ability to either tunnel
by port or to tunnel everything but video.

> 3. (not so important) When will a copy of the EVLA archive be shipped
> from SOC to CV?  (The real question is how soon will it be in CV and
> have synchronized EVLA data using the aforementioned link?)

    The copy in CV will predate the ability to pull directly from the
copy by quite a bit.  NGAS does not allow for direct access so one
of two things will need to happen:
1) John writes a modified AAT (archive access tool) for CV use only
which pulls from the CV copy and writes locally to CV.
2) John modifies the existing AAT so it can pull from either and
write to locally.

    While that functionality is planned I don't foresee it happening
real soon (months).  We're still some way from the EVLA copy existing
in CV and then some time for code development against John's already
oversubscribed time.  Bryan and John would be the people to ask for
real dates.

james