[comm] Fyi: IP Addresses and Cost To the Library

Gene Runion grunion at nrao.edu
Wed Jul 11 09:17:44 EDT 2007

All,

On Tuesday I sat down with Marsha and discussed the "IP addresses" issue
and the cost basis the vendors use.  What I learned from Marsha:

*         Each vendor, as one would expect, uses different criteria for
their pricing.  Negotiating with the vendor usually results in savings.

*         Vendors consider each network a location

*         There is NOT a cost difference between a class B and class C
network

*         Most of the networks listed in the table on page
http://www.nrao.edu/internal/intranet.shtml were being provided to the
vendors.  This table, although quiet detailed, isn't appropriate for
Marsha needs.

Marsha and I propose the following:

*         Provide the vendors with five network numbers

o        146.88.0.0 (AOC)

o        192.33.115.0  (CV)

o        192.33.116.0  (GB)

o        192.131.232.0 (Natted range for GB and CV)

o        200.2.7.227/7 (Chile)

*         In February Marsha will review costs

Fallout, Changes, Action Items:

*         KP, LA, and MK VLBA sites would no longer be included.  Most
likely there is no need for access to the journals from those locations;
if there is then the WEB VPN, proxy, or Citrix server would certainly
serve their needs.

*         GB's network 199.88.192.0 would be eliminated from the list.
Hopefully this will not be a problem as people that are still on that
network could use GB's proxy.  (The long term plan is to remove hosts
from that network.)

*         Tucson's network, 206.197.219.0, would no longer be included.
The one or two users of journals in Tucson would have to use the WEB
VPN, proxy, or Citrix server.  Will they accept this?

*         I would NAT AUI's addresses to 192.131.232.x.  This would
eliminate the need to list their network with the journals.

*         I would NAT the private side of CV's VPN to 192.131.232.x;
thus eliminating the need to list that network with the journals.

*         Check with our folks in Chile that their needs are meet

Comments?

-Gene