[comm] Revisions to Proxy page

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at nrao.edu
Mon Jul 9 17:08:10 EDT 2007

I got fed up with the state of the GoldBook/Web documentation on the
proxy <http://www.nrao.edu/internal/web/proxy.shtml> so I added
SwitchProxy to it.  I haven't had time yet to document the more in-depth
use of it, e.g. how I did the ssh tunnel one (or the associated "tunnel"
shell script).

The impetus for this was the issues with the Library needing "one IP
address" and the complaints about the proxy being hard to use.  Well,
with Firefox/SwitchProxy, it ain't hard to use once it's set up (and
it's not hard to set up either).  And I'd guesstimate[*] most of the
target audience for Library Services such as Marsha has mentioned will
have Firefox as their browser.

Comments/suggestions for improvement of the doc solicited.  I asked Jeff
if he can grab some screen shots of the config screen for Safari; he
foolishly said yes :-)

 - Pat

[*] I've been watching stats on the web server daily for some time now
    via my webstats script.  This now gives a nice breakdown of browser
    type and percentage of use.  I'm seeing roughly 50% Firefox, 5%
    Mozilla (includes Netscape), 5% Safari, and 40% IE roughly
    speaking.  The target audience for those services is going to be
    strongly biased towards Scientists and Engineers; former will use
    Firefox or Safari almost certainly; latter will use IE or maybe
    Firefox.