[comm] [Alma-comms] Minutes of meeting, task list

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at nrao.edu
Fri Jul 6 11:46:18 EDT 2007

FYI... goings-on of the ALMA COMMs group.  Salient minutes extracted
with [my comments to NRAO comm group thus]:

News for the COMMS team

   * Nicolas Ovando (did I get name right? - PPM) hired as Network
     Engineer (Santiago).  [We should invite/add him to our comm list
     and possibly meetings]

   * IP Traffic prioritization when phones used at antennas: test to be
     done at AIV/OSF [concern is that phone usage will interfere with
     ALMA Software IP traffic; can we tweak the Cisco (managed) routers
     to lower the normally high QoS for VoIP?  Do we need to?]

   * Investigate cable downspouts height in AOS Computer Room...
     [concern is that ceiling too low for originally specified racks,
      2.4 meters; also concern about logistics of installation and
      maintenance on gear that high in a rack].
      * High racks originally specified to allow for enhanced airflow,
        cooling; is this a concern, given that rack-mounted units are
        typically solid on the top and bottom, with airflow going from
        front to back?
      * Rule of thumb: half the air density, half the gear in a rack.
     [we're going to buy about 12 equipto racks imminently, for AOS]

   * Pat to think about opening up the COMMS Wiki, and only protecting
     individual topics/pages as needed [This will make it easier for
     more NRAO people to peek at what's going on in ALMA COMMS].

   * http://almasw.hq.eso.org/almasw/bin/view/SE/ALMAIPAddressing

   * http://almasw.hq.eso.org/almasw/bin/view/SE/DNSNamingConvention

 - Pat