[comm]Fyi: VLBA Network Bandwidth Comments

Gareth Hunt ghunt at NRAO.EDU
Mon Jan 7 19:12:53 EST 2002

Guys,

Here is a note from Paul Rhodes containing comments from two VLBA site techs
and my response to one of them.  As I said in my response, there seems to be a
clear need for higher bandwidth connection to the VLBA sites.

Cheers,
Gareth.
------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
From: Paul Rhodes <prhodes at aoc.nrao.edu>
To: ghunt at NRAO.EDU
Subject: VLBA Network Bandwidth Comments
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 09:58:12 -0700

Gareth,

You asked for comments about the VLBA connectivity so I inquired to see
if anyone was having any problems.  Here are the results from two of the
Intranet connected stations. It appears that most of the Stations have
learned to "be patient" and they do not have any other experiences to
compare their service at the stations.  When I visit the stations I
notice a severe slow down from my connection experience at the AOC.

North Liberty  Bandwidth For VLBA Sites:    Mike Burgert 12-10-01

There are many reasons to re-evaluate the Internet connections at the
VLBA stations. Most sites are connected via 10-year-old technology, and
huge price/performance gains can be realized.
Here at the North Liberty VLBA station, our average transfer rate is
less than 3kB/sec. This is noticeably slower than a 56k dial up modem
connection. I have installed (at my own expense) an ADSL modem and
router/firewall to the computer I use here at the station. I am not
connected to the NRAO intranet. The speed and reliability of this
connection is excellent. Unfortunately, I am unable to access all of the
NRAO servers due to NRAO firewalls.

Transfer Rate Comparison:

I did a comparison of a few things that I would consider common
activities for a station technician using the Internet. The first
example is using VLCj to monitor the health of the site's cryogenics, in
the second example, I went to a website to research an electronic
component for a NRAO project I am working on. When doing design work, it
is necessary to look at datasheets for several I.C.s from several
different manufactures. Most datasheets are in Adobe .pdf format, and a
20-page document is about 500KB.

1. Connect to VLCj 			DSL=3-4 sec.		T-1=10 sec.

2. Create a graph of cryo
temperatures of 10 receivers for
144 hours.				DSL=4 sec.		T-1=13 sec

3. Go to Maxim I.C.s
Datasheet search page			DSL=3 sec.		T-1=20 sec

4. Download a Datasheet
for an IC. 648KB			DSL=10 sec.		T-1=01:45 mm:ss

5. Download a Radar Image		DSL= 1-2 sec.		T-1=14 sec.

6. Transfer of a site camera image	DSL = <20 sec.	T-1 = 45 sec.to 1 min
to the AOC. (Aprox. 300KB)

7. MainSaver: (better pack a lunch!) Using Citrix meta Frame on Zaphod.
Mainsaver is not DSL accessible due to firewalls, Very Slow!

The ADSL connection is about 10 times faster than the T-1 connection.
The T-1 speeds listed are with one user on the T-1, with no site camera
connected. When the site camera is operating on the T-1, the data
transfer comes to a screeching halt for about 1 minute, every 5 minutes
of the day 24/7!

Some may argue that the VLBA sites do not "need" any more speed than
they already have. As far as the functionality of the site, this is
probably true. But, technology has come a long way, and ignoring the
new, and better connectivity optionns my have a greater effect in the
future.

Pricing to upgrade to ADSL at North Liberty

Basic Service:	 	384K downstream 128K upstream		 $39.95 per month
Static I.P. Address					         $20.00 per month

Hardware Requirements:

Alcatel Speed Touch Modem					$125.00 (on site N/C)
LinkSys BEFSR41 4 port Router with Firewall and DHCP		$125.00 (on site
N/C)
Category 5 network cable and connectors				$20.00

The ADSL service here is provided by the local phone cooperative South
Slope www.southslope.com  I have been using their ADSL service for about
1 year now, and I have never had a single outage. The company has
implemented an "ATM Cloud" (Asynchronous Transfer Mode) making ADSL
extremely reliable.

Should N.R.A.O. decide to give this service a try, I would be glad to
assist in the hardware installation and configuration. In fact, I'd even
donate my hardware if North Liberty could be used as a test site! So,
the total cost to NRAO would be $59.95 per month for static I.P. with
the rest of the station computers assigned IP addresses via the router.
I realize not all sites have access to broadband… But, if a site has
access, and it is of better performance, and the operating cost is less,
WHY NOT?!

P.C. to P.C. Internet phones, and video conferencing could also help cut
phone costs! (Instead of paying for tech meeting conference calls…)

Owens Valley   Jim brown's comments to Marie Glendenning  10-3-01

Hi Marie,
         Yesterday you asked me to send you an email describing any
difficulties I've experienced using Mainsaver.  I performed the
Mainsaver upgrade last March 14 on the site NT machine.  Since then, it
has displayed occasional episodes of severely decreased performance.  At
times the program would operate so slowly that I could sit back and
watch it slowly constructing a page piece by piece.  Using the mouse to
perform simple operations was even slower and uncertain.  On this end,
it didn't matter that I closed out of all other running programs to free
up the RAM.  On the other (Citrix) end, the connection to the server
shows no less than 22 running programs in the system tray each time I
connect.  At its worst, Mainsaver would hang and be totally
unresponsive.  This computer's Windows Task Manager would report it as
"not responding" and I would have to use the "End Task" feature to close
out and start over.  That's something I never had to do before the
upgrade. This could be a problem with the network, the server, or simply
the number of users connected to the Mainsaver database at the same
time.  I understand the Mainsaver upgrade has passed its tests at
another location.  The performance issue is tolerable as long as I can
finally use the program to get the job done.  Yesterday, I couldn't even
connect with the server.  I tried several times, always getting the same
message: "Unable to find the path to the Citrix server".  I finally
asked Operations whether others were having the same problem.  They
weren't.  I don't know what was wrong with it.  Today I was able to
connect and use Mainsaver several times, and it now operates as well as
it ever did.  Thank you for your help.

Jim

Paul J. Rhodes                                 Array Operations Center
VLBA Field Group Leader                        P.O. Box O
National Radio Astronomy Observatory           Socorro, NM 87801
www.nrao.edu                                   505-835-7256