[comm]Re: Telecommunications meeting on Tuesday

Alan Bridle abridle at nrao.edu
Mon Jan 7 11:30:53 EST 2002

Gareth Hunt wrote:

> So: Telecommunications video meeting Tuesday Jan 8 at 10EST/08MST/07PST.
>     We will open up the audio to 1-434-296-7082
>
> Main subjects:
>
>     1. Video system security
>     2. Requirements for the new intranet contract
>
> I will circulate separately a brief outline for item 2.  Alan may do likewise
> for item 1.

I think the video items we should discuss are:

1) Adding password protection to the administrative
setups on the Polycoms.  Over the holidays the Tucson
settings were interfered with by an "amateur" staff
member who was reportedly trying to configure the Polycom
128 there to talk to Chile over the Internet (which our
router filters would have prevented anyway).  Kevin had to
redo his settings and we should discuss the use of admin
passwords for the unit setups to mitigate this.

Unfortunately, if an admin password is set then you have to
supply it from the remote in order to make changes to the
protected parts of the setup.  The "mock keyboard
interface" for alphabetical characters is awkward to use
from the remote.  Gene has suggested that we therefore use a
numeric passwords that can be entered from the number keys,
and Gareth has a specific suggestion that is memorable.  I
won't repeat it in email for security reasons, but I suggest
we use adopt the same numeric password for all NRAO Polycoms
and discuss it at the meeting.

2)  There have been some concerns from staff about whether the
Polycoms can be used to eavesdrop on conversations in conference
rooms without occupants being aware of this.  This could be
prevented by turning the Polycoms off when not in use but it
is often desirable to have all Polycoms turned on some minutes
before a multisite meeting.  (This allows multi-way connections
to the Radvision hub to be dialed centrally, which is the required
connection mode for the new FX hubs).  It is also sometimes useful
to have all sites available for after-hours system tests.

It is in fact not possible to eavesdrop on a room without the
occupants being aware IF the TV's are also turned on.  The TV's
will not go into power save mode if there is an active call,
nor will they stay in power save mode if a call comes in).  So
you cannot be called from another site and not be aware of this
if the incoming-signal TV is turned on. The preferred and most
secure mode for a video room is therefore to leave its Polycom
turned on AND the TV's turned on.  We could however set all
Polycoms to default to mike muting when they answer incoming
calls, as this would prevent accidental overhearing of snippets
of remote conversations as connections are first made.
(Sites would then have to actively unmute to join meetings).

3). (FOR INFO) Possible use of Polycom Global Management software
for future Address Book maintenance, software updates, call
logging, setting backups, and more.  We believe that use of this
package may be desirable as systems proliferate, so we are about to
test its capabilities.