[alma_na] Re: New ALMA Account numbers (correction?)

Richard Simon rsimon at nrao.edu
Mon Sep 30 17:57:28 EDT 2002

I have just learned that my description of how to use the new chart of
accounts (based on the actual chart of accounts and lengthy discussions
with MIS) disagrees with the approach that Fiscal had in mind.  My
initial description is correct, except there is the possibility that
proper specification of an ALMA account is done with a different order.

To be specific, I do not know whether our new accounts should be
specified as

(Business Unit).(Object Class).(Subsidiary)
as described below, and according to lengthy conversations with MIS
(see http://www.nrao.edu/internal/mis/mischartofaccounts )

or with the Object and Subsidiary field reversed, namely

(Business Unit).(Subsidiary).(Object Class)
i.e.
(Job Number) . (Cost Code) . (Cost Type)
(see http://www.nrao.edu/internal/fiscal/WBSAccountStructure_Jun3.pdf)

There is no practical difference between the two approaches, except for
a disagreement between the order of the three fields.  MIS and Fiscal
have told me different answers.  In two cases (1403 and 1660), there are
Work Elements with the same numbers are the Object Classes, so there is
so there is a potential for conflict, which must eventually be addressed.

Stay tuned.  I will reissue the memo with the final answer as soon as it
is available.

Regards,

Richard Simon

as described below, or