[wfc] [Iaufec] FITS MIME type regional committee votes (fwd)

Arnold Rots arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Wed Jun 30 14:35:52 EDT 2004

Call for WGAS FITS Committee vote on the FITS MIME type proposal

Since there were no reported objections to holding a vote on the FITS
MIME type proposal, Bill Pence as chair of the IAU FWG has called on
the 3 regional FITS committee chairmen to conduct a vote on the
following resolution to endorse the MIME type proposal and the
recommendation that it be submitted to the appropriate Internet
regulating authorities for adoption as an Internet standard:

   "We endorse the "MIME Sub-type Registrations for FITS" document by
   Allen and Wells (draft dated 17 May 2004) and recommend that it be
   submitted to the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) as an Internet
   Draft in the expectation that the IETF review process will approve it
   as an Informational RFC and register the FITS MIME types with the
   Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA)."

I hereby formally call for this vote and invite all of you to e-mail
me your ballot.
The rules suggest this vote to be completed by July 22, but Bill has
requested me to expedite the schedule in order to allow a final vote
by the IAU FWG before the August holiday period (his words, not mine).
Considering that the vote immediately follows the straw poll, this
seems not unreasonable and I therefore set the deadline for submitting
ballots at 2004-07-15T00:00:00 (UTC), or 6 pm (EDT) on July 14.

As a reminder, here are the rules for conducting the vote:

   Once the Executive Committee (EC) has requested that the regional
   FITS committees vote on the proposal, the chairman of each committee
   will be responsible for collecting the votes via email within the
   alloted time period (normally 3 weeks). The committee members may
   vote either 'Yes, in favor', 'No, not in favor', or 'Abstain'. Any
   member who fails to cast a vote will be counted as voting to 'Abstain'.
   Anyone voting 'No' should give the reason(s) why they feel the proposal
   is not acceptable. In order for a regional committee to approve a
   proposal a quorum of at least 2/3 of the committee members must have
   voted either 'Yes' or 'No', and at least 2/3 of those votes must be
   'Yes'.  After collecting all the votes, the regional committee chairman
   will forward the vote tallies (without associated names), along with
   the reasons for any 'No' votes, to the EC.

Cheers,

  - Arnold

Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu