[wfc] CHECKSUM Proposal

Archie Warnock warnock at awcubed.com
Thu Nov 14 15:26:03 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "William Pence" <pence at tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov>
> layer of file validity checking at the FITS file level.  This overlooks
what
> I regard as one of the most important uses of the CHECKSUM keywords: The
> CHECKSUM keywords provide a simple mechanism for putting a 'validity
stamp'
> or 'seal of approval' on the FITS data files that are retrieved from large
> public archives like the HEASARC, MAST, or NRAO.  By verifying that the

I'm inclined to agree with Bill on this, primarily because over the years
I've consistently advocated making things possible in FITS (as opposed to
making them mandatory).  It seems to me that the availability of a
well-documented, standardized way to (optionally) include checksums is A
Good Thing for those who wish to make use of it, whereas making it a
requirement would not provide much of a reliable benefit.

As long as it's unambiguous and not required, I'm in favor of it.  Right
now, anyway.

Archie

-- Archie Warnock                   warnock at awcubed.com
-- A/WWW Enterprises                http://www.awcubed.com
--    As a matter of fact, I _do_ speak for my employer.