[wfc] CHECKSUM Proposal

Peter Teuben teuben at astro.umd.edu
Wed Apr 17 18:50:46 EDT 2002

Dear WGAS Fits Committee members (and listeners):

  as promised a few months ago, the WFC is going to be awakened for an exciting
round of votes. We actually have a few proposals in the queue, I'm sure you are
all aware of the impending WCS proposals, but I wanted to start with a small

Bob Seaman, Bill Pence and Arnold Rots have spiffed up the CHECKSUM proposal,
and have submitted their new proposal for review. Please have a look at
	http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/heasarc/fits/checksum.html
where you can find the proposal, including the old one, in HMTL and PS format.

Please have a look at this proposal over the coming days, bring up any issues
you may have on this mail exploder. I'd like to call for votes by the end of
this month!!

As far as implementations, I believe CFITSIO is the only library that handles
this proposal, unless somebody can confirm otherwise (the list of FITS I/O
implementations is getting quite large now).

Peter Teuben, chairman WFC

PS: list traffic is archived on http://listmgr.cv.nrao.edu/pipermail/wfc/