WFC: Year-2000 issue (again)

Arnold Rots arots at xebec.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu May 22 13:44:36 EDT 1997

Don,

There is no separate memo on TIMESYS.  It is buried in the thick
document on the XTE FITS Formatter.

Any file in the XTE archive will do.  The archive is at:

	ftp://legacy.gsfc.nasa.gov/xte/data/archive

A good document on time systems is:

	http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/systime.html

The only system missing is ET (Epehemeris Time) the astronomical
predecessor of (and continous with) TT.

I noticed that the other message that you sent me had the start
of the century wrong.  It should be 2001.0.  As to the rest: life
would be a whole lot easier if civil clocks ran on TAI.  It's
utterly deplorable that GPS introduced yet another system; TAI
would have served them just fine.

  - Arnold