WFC: Year-2000 issue (again)

Arnold Rots arots at xebec.gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed May 14 16:46:28 EDT 1997

Don,

We're all astronomers, aren't we?  Or at least working in an
astronomical environment.  That means that we should know
something about time and time systems; hence, a TIMESYS keyword
should not throw us in total confusion, as it would, say, a
freshmen sociology student.

There are a number of arguments against the obligatory use of UTC:

1. Before 1972, UTC is not defined.

2. This convention is supposed to be blessed by the IAU; the IAU's
"official" time system is TT.

3. Not all FITS files use UTC (nor TT) for the time values they
contain: things like (M)JDs, TIME columns, etc.  Requiring the
use of UTC for DATEXXXX keywords would mean that these files (or,
rather, the HDUs) would be internally inconsistent: some time
values would then be in UTC, while other might be in TT, TDB, ...
This, in my opinion would be a far worse confusion.

4. Applications that need to be extremely careful about time
issues, ought to know about different time systems.  Applications
that don't, well, they probably are not interested in very accurate
times and for those it shouldn't matter whether they mistakenly
interpret DATEXXXX as being in UTC.

Finally on the issue of the Z qualifier: if the time system is not
UTC, use of the Z qualifier would cause a contradiction; if the
time system _is_ UTC (or the keyword is absent, and UTC is assumed,
for post-1972 data), it is not needed.  Hence the abolition of the
Z qualifier.

Something tells me that this may not have convinced you, but did
it at least succeed in making the proposal more palatable?

Cheers,

  - Arnold