WFC: Year-2000 issue

Arnold Rots arots at xebec.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Mar 20 09:14:59 EST 1997

I have concerns similar to Steve's, though with a different twist.

In my experience, the use of DATE-OBS and similar keywords has been
more for purposes of readibility (to the user) than for serious
timing work.  The idea being that if you want to do something serious,
you use (M)JDs, but it's nice for the user to be able to relate a
JD to his/her daily life.

I think it would be terrible if DATE-OBS would use a time system
different from, say, MJDREF in the same file.  So, some discussion
of this issue is appropriate, here.

Even when using JD-based times, large parts of the community have
been very slack in their definitions.  In most cases, UTC or TAI has
been used, but it is often not documented.  (Some people appear to be
under the mistaken impression that the use of (M)JD implies a
particular time system: not so.)

The way we have chosen to get out of this uncertain situation for
XTE (where the "T" stands for "Timing"), is by requiring a keyword
TIMESYS which could have any of the following (string) values:
UTC, TAI, ET, TT, TDT, TCG, TDB, TCB; undoubtedly there are more,
but I would hesitate to use UT1 or any local times.

Considering that we are working on an IAU standard, it would seem
appropriate to make the IAU's preferred time system also the preferred
one for FITS files: TT (which, in some way is equivalent to ET and TDT).

In order to maintain forward and backward compatibility, I propose:

1. Use of the keyword TIMESYS is strongly encouraged.  It will set the
   time system for all time related keywords and data in the HDU.
   Officially allowed values are: UTC, TAI, ET, TT, TDT, TCG, TDB, TCB.

2. The preferred value is "TT" which is considered equivalent to "TDT"
   and "ET", though "ET" should not be used for data taken after 1976.

3. If the TIMESYS keyword is absent or has an unrecognized value,
   a value of "UTC" will be assumed.

4. The use of the "Z" qualifier in DATE-OBS is discouraged: if the
   keyword TIMESYS is missing, it is implied; if TIMESYS is present and
   has a value other than "UTC", this constitutes an inconsistency.

The following is not strictly needed for the present issue, but could
be thrown in, if people think it's useful:

5. All days will be considered to have 86400 seconds, for the purpose
   of conversions between days and seconds (i.e., a time interval in
   seconds may not reflect elapsed seconds in UTC).

  - Arnold Rots