Year2000

William Lupton wlupton at keck.hawaii.edu
Thu Jun 26 14:53:03 EDT 1997

I support the proposal with one request for clarification of:

> 3.2) The new recommended format is a restricted subset of
>    ISO-8601, being one of two options:
>    a) 'CCYY-MM-DD'
>    b) 'CCYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss[.sss...]'
>
>    <CCYY> represents a calendar year, <MM> the ordinal number of a calendar
>    month within the calendar year, and <DD> the ordinal number of a day
>    within the calendar month.  <hh> represents the hour in the day, <mm>
>    the minutes, <ss[.s...]> the seconds.  'T' is the time designator.
>
>    In the short form, there may not be any additional terminator/separator
>    (such as T).  In the long form, there must be a 'T' time designator
>    between the date and the time.

When I read this, I was not certain whether 'T' was a literal 'T' or stood
for a variable "time designator". I think the use of the phrase "additional
terminator/separator (such as T)" added to my confusion.

I would change the last paragraph to be something like this:

>    In the short form, there is no time designator.
>    In the long form, there must be a literal 'T' time designator
>    between the date and the time.

William

--------------- William Lupton (wlupton at keck.hawaii.edu) ---------------
Home: PO Box 7135,           Work: W. M. Keck Observatory, 65-1120 Mama-
      Kamuela, HI 96743, USA       lahoa Highway, Kamuela, HI 96743, USA
      (808) 885 3475               (808) 885 7887, (808) 885 4464 (fax)