[Pafgbt] save PAF cross-correlations rather than formed beam outputs

Rick Fisher rfisher at nrao.edu
Sun May 19 09:57:45 EDT 2013

Brian, Karl,

In trying to understand the ASKAP data processing architecture, I'm
beginning to understand the fundamental importance of saving the
cross-products between array element outputs in our own PAF data
processing.  In forming beams you throw away a lot of information in the
array's field of view that can be recovered only by forming many beams
with very close spacing (much closer than HPBW/2).  This has important
consequences for the sensitivity to point sources, as in the search for
pulsars.  Hence, I would suggest that the most important archived outputs
from your signal processor are the cross-products rather than formed
beams.  For a given data storage volume, there's more information in the
cross-products than in the formed beam outputs.  In some respects, the
"beam" concept is a holdover from a waveguide feed where there's only one
output, and most of the information in the focal plane is reflected back
into the sky.

Rick