[Pafgbt] BYU backend testing in GB

Karl Warnick warnick at ee.byu.edu
Fri May 3 14:05:57 EDT 2013

Bill,

Good to hear the trip has been good so far. I've inserted some answers
below.

Karl

On 5/2/2013 10:59 PM, Bill Shillue wrote:
> Karl,
>
> Thanks for the slides.  We have met many excellent people here at CSIRO, and I am sure that Brian will have a great interaction when he comes.
>
> I am preparing my presentation and will include some of your slides.  I would like to know a little more  about the feeds.  If I understand correctly, there are three versions of the BYU dipoles: kite, GBT1, and GBT2.  We currently have kite installed.  GBT1 has been replaced by GBT2 before it was ever used, and GBT2 represents a more optimized version.
Correct. GBT1 was an interim design of which we only fabricated one.

We do have several earlier designs in addition to these, two single pol
and one dual pol, but they were all for previous ambient temperature PAFs.

> Questions:
>
> 1. Why is there such a large change in the angles P3 and P5?  Do you attach any significance to these angles: ie does increase in P3 generally mean wider bandwidth?  What does p5 do electromagnetically?  I might guess that it allows you to increase the physical length of the dipole while having less coupling to an adjacent element?  But it is not clear how the angle affects the   single element dipole pattern.  What would happen if p5 was 98 degrees instead of 82 degrees?  Or do questions like this have no place since the computer optimization determines all...?
These are hard questions to answer. When we design the dipoles, we are
using software optimization and tools of our own development that
includes bandwidth, field of view, impedance matching, sensitivity,
survey speed, and element spacing (i.e., cryostat size) into account.
It's quite complex. It is noteworthy to me, though, that our designs
have progressively become more like the square patches used by CSIRO for
the checkerboard array as we have pushed for higher bandwidth.

> 2. The last plot is a nice way to show the optimization.  There are three cases:
> (a) kite at 20m spacing
> (b) GBT2 at 20m spacing
> (c)GBT2 at wider spacing
Correct.

> And the plot seems to show that
>   (a) has higher Tsys/Aeff but good FoV
> (b) has low Tsys/Aeff but less FoV
>   (c) has low Tsys/Aeff and good FoV
>
> Is that summary correct?  20 K seems very low.  Can  you explain how you get that?  What is the Aeff in that case?  Can you say what causes the large Tsys/Aeff of "Kite" at the low end of the band (1.2 GHz) while at 1.5 GHz it is so good (even better than GBT2?!)
Yes, this is also correct. These curves include spillover and aperture
efficiency, but are primarily driven by impedance matching. For an
array, the relevant impedances are active impedances, which move around
the Smith chart as a function of beam scan angle. We try to keep the
active impedances as close to 50 ohms as possible over the full field of
view and operating band.

The performance of the kite at the high end is mainly due to the active
impedances passing directly through the Smith chart, and moving away at
the low end of the band.  The kite is inherently narrow band than the
GBT2 dipole, and is tuned to a higher center frequency as well. There is
also a modest trend for aperture efficiency.

As far as why the minimum is 20 K, that is based on a fairly large set
of parameters for  amplifier noise performance (Tmin, Zopt, noise
resistance Rn), spillover due to integrated power that misses the dish
and illuminates the ground, and additional fixed noise terms due to
scatter and sky noise. Although we've tried to get them in the ballpark,
we don't worry too much about getting the fixed terms exactly right,
since the optimization essentially ignores those terms. We just try to
get the LNA noise, aperture efficiency, and spillover noise to be
correct, and the other terms are just parameters. Additionally, there
does seem to be a mysterious Tsys contribution of a few Kelvin for
cryogenic systems that models just don't predict well, which we haven't
included.

--
Karl F. Warnick
Brigham Young University