[Pafgbt] Phased Array Coordination meeting

Rick Fisher rfisher at nrao.edu
Wed Apr 10 14:49:39 EDT 2013

Hi Anish,

I think it would be good to put this discussion on 'pafgbt' so here goes.

You are probably right that there's not much margin for adding attenuation
at the output of the Dewar.  It depends on the noise figure of the
amplifiers at the input of the fiber link package or, more accurately, the
effective noise figure of the fiber link input.  This will be good to
know, but for now we can probably assume that Roger designed the fiber
link with just low enough noise figure to work with the Dewar design as he
knew it.  This would be good to verify, however, once the uncertainty of
the cold LNA integrity is resolved.

Keep in mind that terminating the fiber link input adds 300K of noise to
its input.  Hence, if the noise figure of the fiber link input amplifiers
is better than 3 dB, you're more than doubling its noise power with the
termination.

Rick