[Pafgbt] PAF/GBT progress report

Rick Fisher rfisher at nrao.edu
Tue Nov 6 11:55:17 EST 2012

A short progress report on the PAF/GBT project:

Paul Marganian (in Green Bank) and I have written and tested the first
version of the interface between the old ADLink PAF data acquisition
system and the GBT monitor and control system.  First-draft instructions
for starting the ADLink DAQ system and observing with it on the GBT can be
temporarily found at:

http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~rfisher/ArrayFeed/PAFonGBT.html

http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~rfisher/ArrayFeed/paf_adlink_stand_alone.html

Comments welcome.

The other major component yet to be added to the GBT control system for
PAF testing is a coordinate system for offsetting the GBT position on a
rectangular grid centered on a celestial radio source.

Adapting the GBT/ADLink interface software to the new BYU
spectrometer/Correlator should be considerably easier than writing this
first interface from scratch.

--------

Also, Richard Black at BYU sent me a sample raw data output file from the
spectrometer mode of the new BYU spectrometer/correlator/beamformer along
with initial documentation on this system.  Aside from a couple of
detailed questions, it looks like we have read and plotted the first
spectra correctly at NRAO.

Thanks to Paul and Richard!

Regards,
Rick