[Pafgbt] pulsar search metric

Rick Fisher rfisher at nrao.edu
Tue Mar 2 14:02:12 EST 2010

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the run down on sensitivity.  Right now I'm thinking very
primitively about things like how far apart to form the beams and what the
effects of lower sensitivity of outer beams might be.  My intuition is
that a 1 dB or even 0.5 dB degradation in outer beam aperture efficiency
hurts pretty significantly in terms of new pulsar count, but I'd like to
quantify this.  Scattering, duty cycle, etc. are backend design issues
that we'll need to deal with separately.  I have the ATNF pulsar catalog
from which I can generate a log(N) - log(S) relationship, and I'll see how
far I can go with that.

Rick