[Pafgbt] GBT PAF system assumptions

Paul Demorest pdemores at nrao.edu
Mon Feb 8 15:27:38 EST 2010

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010, Rick Fisher wrote:

> To begin getting a handle on the constraints and options for a GBT PAF
> system design, let me list some assumptions that we might adopt.  Feel
> free to argue with any of these and suggest alternatives.  The immediate
> objective is to get the options on the table.
>
> Rick
>
> 1. Because data rate, storage, and management will always be primary
> limiting factors in PAF science output, system temperature and aperture
> and beam efficiency of each beam will be top priorities.  The goal for
> system temperature divided by aperture efficiency is 28 K for all beams
> that are formed and processed.  The first array on the GBT may not meet
> this goal, but front-end development will continue at least until this
> goal is achieved.  The first array on the GBT will be cryogenic.
>
> 2. The first array on the GBT will be have 19 dual-polarized elements.
> It will be optimized for the HI line at 1.42 GHz and cover at least
> 1.3-1.5 GHz.  This frequency range is bounded by the radar at 1.292
> GHz and the satellite band at 1.52-1.57 GHz.  Another array will need
> to be built to cover the 1.7-2.3 GHz band preferred by pulsar
> observers when sufficient beamforming bandwidth becomes available.

1.7-2.3 GHz might not be the best pulsar band for this feed.  I think it
mainly became the standard for the GBT because the (3-level) spigot was so
sensitive to RFI at the lower L-band freqs.  With higher dynamic range
instruments it might make sense to move down in freq where pulsars are
stronger and survey speed goes up.  someone will have to do a real
analysis of all these factors though...

-Paul