[Pafgbt] PAF beamformer size and cost

John Ford jford at nrao.edu
Thu Feb 4 14:23:54 EST 2010

> Brian,
>
> Thanks very much for the beamformer outline.  How does Jason handle the
> frequency dependence of the beamformer weights?  Is there an FIR is each
> signal path or maybe an FFT - iFFT operation?
>
> What to do with the high bandwidth beam outputs at high time resolution is
> a standard pulsar problem.  Since the beam outputs are essentially the
> same as you'd have with a conventional horn feed, all of the current
> tricks of the trade will apply.  As far as I know, all pulsar surveys are
> done by generating spectra with a frequency resolution consistent with the
> highest expected pulse dispersion, squaring the signals, integrating for
> the selected resolution time, and streaming this to disk.  Pulse searches
> are then done off-line in computer clusters or supercomputers.  (Our
> pulsar experts can chime in here.)  We'll need to match our output data
> rates with available storage and post-processing capabilities - a
> time-dependent target.  Maybe someone could give us some currently
> feasible numbers and time derivatives.

I'm not a pulsar expert, but I know a bit about what the 1 beam GBT
currently can do, and what is available in the computer world.

I don't think it's feasible to keep 40 beams of pulsar search data.  We're
having a time of it keeping up with managing the data from our 1 beam
guppi.  We capture ~50-100 MB/sec with guppi in search mode, so 40 times
that is completely insane. (20-40 Gigabytes per second!)

It's not so much the capture rate (which, while difficult, is possible
today with large disk arrays) as the fact that pulsar searches use long
integrations, so the volume of data to be stored until it is processed is
huge.  This example would be >500 Terabytes in an 8 hour observation.
Yikes!  That's possibly more pulsar search data than has been collected,
ever.

I have no idea how long it takes to process the data, but the only really
feasible thing to do for this kind of data rate is to process it in (near)
real time and throw it away when you are done.  That means a *really*
large supercomputer or special-purpose pulsar search engine.

Pulsar timing is another kettle of fish altogether.  There, the bottleneck
is processing power. (assuming coherent dedispersion)  The disk I/O is
almost negligible.  The I/O requirements for getting the samples off the
beamformer and onto the processing machine are also formidable.

As usual, the pulsar requirements far outstrip all other observing
requirements as far as data rates.  We can build spectrometers that
integrate for milliseconds or seconds to cut data rates to manageable
numbers.  So it seems reasonable to build a machine that could handle the
40 beams for "normal" observing, and reduce the number of beams used for
pulsar search output.

For transients and pulsars you need the fast-sampled time-domain data to
work with, and can't really integrate it down much before using it.

I think the biggest problem is really storage of the data, and not
necessarily the processing in real time.

John