[Pafgbt] PAF beamformer size and cost

Rick Fisher rfisher at nrao.edu
Thu Feb 4 10:24:44 EST 2010

Brian,

Is your assumed beamformer architecture voltage sums or post-correlation?
In other words, are the beams formed by summing complex weighted voltages
from the array elements or by combining cross products of all of the
elements?  John's reference at http://arxiv.org/abs/0912.0380v1 shows a
voltage-sum beamformer.  The post-correlaion bamformer may use fewer
processing resources, but it precludes further coherent signal processing
of each beam.

Very roughly, the science requirements for a beamformer fall into two
camps, which may be operational definitions of first science and
cadallac/dream machine: 1. spectral line surveys with bandwidths in the
3-100 MHz range and very modest time resolution and 2. pulsar and fast
transient source surveys with bandwidths on the order of 500+ MHz and <=50
microsecond time resolution.  The 2001 science case says pulsar work
requires bandwidths of 200+ MHz, but the bar has gone higher in the
meantime.  One can always think of something to do with a wide bandwidth,
low time resolution beamformer, but it would be a stretch.  The GBT
sensitivity isn't high enough to see HI at redshifts below, say, 1350 MHz
in a very wide-area survey.  Hence, building a beamformer with wide
bandwith but low time resolution may not be the optimum use of resources.
Also, the 2001 science cases assumes 7 formed beams, but the minimum now
would be, maybe, 19 and growing as the competition heats up.

Counter-thoughts?

Rick