[MODEST] MODEST 15 - 1st announcement

Michael Fellhauer mfellhauer at astro-udec.cl
Mon Aug 11 15:59:17 EDT 2014

***************       M O D E S T  1 5       ***************
***    Modelling (and Observing) Dense Stellar Systems   ***
***    Universidad de Concepcion, Chile;  2.-6.3. 2015   ***

web : http://www.astro-udec.cl/modest15/

mail: modest15 at astro-udec.cl

Registration is now open - please visit our website or use
the form at the end of this e-mail.

The conference website is hosted locally (in contrast to
the main institute site), so please use the full address
above (including the dash and the modest15) to connect with
us.

                      1st Announcement

The Theory Group at the Departamento de Astronomia at the
Universidad de Concepcion would like to invite you to
MODEST 15, in Concepcion, Chile at the 2nd - 6th of March
2015.

This is the 15. meeting of the MODEST community, which
includes groups, all over the world, working in stellar
dynamics, stellar evolution, stellar hydrodynamics and the
observations of dense stellar systems.  These systems range
from small star clusters, globular clusters, dwarf galaxies
to the central areas of large galaxies.  The aim is to
provide a comprehensive software framework for large-scale
simulations of dense stellar systems, within which existing
codes for dynamics, stellar evolution, and hydrodynamics can
be easily coupled and compared to reality.

The study of dense stellar systems has constantly been an
active area of research. Such systems, which mainly refer to
young massive star clusters, globular clusters, dwarf
galaxies, and galactic centers play a crucial role in
understanding the structures of the Universe.  Dense systems
of stars present enough challenges to basically all schools
in astronomy and in all wavelengths and all areas of theory.

For the first time in the MODEST history, this workshop will
be held in Chile.  Chile is country best known in astronomy
for its clear skies and many of the largest telescopes in
the world.  What is mainly unknown to the rest of the world
is that the government of Chile declared astronomy as one of
the key sciences of the country.  So a lot of funding is
channeled into astronomy and the astronomical community in
Chile is constantly growing.  This is also true for
theoretical astronomy.  All mayor universities have now
astronomy departments and at least one or more senior
scientist in theory.

We think that this makes Chile an ideal place to host the
MODEST conference as, in recent years, the acronym changed
inoffcially from "Modelling dense stellar systems" into
"Modelling and observing dense stellar systems".  A lot of
observational groups in Chile are working in the field of
star clusters.

Scientific topics:

- young embedded clusters and star forming regions
- globular and open clusters near and far
- UCDs
- galactic nuclei

SOC: (alphabetical order)

Paulina Assmann (Concepcion, Chile), Michael Fellhauer
(Concepcion, Chile), Douglas Heggie (Edinburgh, UK), Pavel
Kroupa (Bonn, Germany), Steven McMillan (Philadelphia, USA),
Steffen Mieske (Santiago, Chile), Rainer Spurzem (Beijing,
China)

LOC: (alphabetical order)

Paulina Assmann (UdeC), Joerg Dabringhausen (UdeC), Nelvy
Choque (UdeC), Michael Fellhauer (UdeC), Graeme Candlish
(UdeC), Raul Dominguez (UdeC), Juan Pablo Farias (UdeC),
Rodrigo Vejar (UdeC)

contact:   modest15 at astro-udec.cl

Concepcion is the second largest city in Chile and just a
one hour plane ride from Santiago (or 5-6 hours in a
luxurious bus).  The Universidad de Concepcion (UdeC) is the
third most important university in Chile (after Universidad
Chile and Catolica, both in Santiago) with a fast growing
astronomy department.  It is said that our university has
the nicest campus at least in Chile if not more.  The
university is located in the central part of the city and is
in walking distance from all hotels in the city centre.
Concepcion is located 10 km inland from the Pacific and
beaches are easily reached with public transport.

If you come to Chile, we would recommend to plan to stay for
a couple of weeks more.  Chile is an amazing country which
spans more than 5,000 km from the North, with the Atacama
desert, to the South (Patagonia and Antarctica).  From
Santiago it is possible to organise trips to the North and
South and from Concepcion you can easily reach Patagonia via
plane or bus.  At the same time Chile is only about 200 km
wide so with a 2 hours bus ride you can travel from ski
resorts in the Andes to the beaches of the Pacific.

Things to do:

- visit Geysers at over 4,000 m altitude (Atacama)
- climb an active volcano (e.g. Pucon)
- relax in hot springs (all over Chile)
- watch penguins (South) or Llamas (Andes)
- eat excellent meat (everywhere)
- sea food in all varieties (all along the coast)
- make wine tastings (e.g. Valle de Colchagua)
- have a good selection of micro-breweries (everywhere)

AND:

- enjoy the amazing night sky of the Southern Hemisphere !!!

We hope to see you all in 2015 !

The MODEST15 team

PS: The MODEST conferences never asked for a registration fee
and we will continue to do so. The conference itself is fully
funded and we expect to receive further funding to invite
speakers, give travel grants for students and pay for the
social activities. In the unlikely event that we do not
receive further funding, we may have to raise a social
activity fee, which will be around 100-150 USD. We will write
on the receipt 'conference fee' so you might get reimbursed.

The registration for MODEST 15 is now open.

As we do not have a possibility at our institute to host an
online registration form and we do not want to outsource
confident information, we decided to have an old-fashioned
registration form in text-format which you can cut, fill and
paste and then please send via e-mail to

modest15 at astro-udec.cl

--- cut here ----------------

MODEST 15 - Registration form
=============================

first name:
last  name:

affiliation:

e-mail:

-----------------------------

I want to present a:

( ) talk
( ) poster

title:

abstract:

-----------------------------

I am a

( ) student
( ) postdoc
( ) senior scientist

For students (and maybe for postdocs) we may have part
travel grants if we get sufficient funding (priority for
students with oral presentations)

I would like to apply for:

( ) "conference fee" waived
( ) part travel grant

For all:

I need assistance in booking an accommodation ( )

-----------------------------

conference dinner:

We will make sure that a vegetarian option is available, for
other preferences we cannot give a guarantee.

( ) no special requirements
( ) vegetarian option
( ) other preferences or requirements, please explain:
( ) I do not want to take part.

conference excursion:

We assume that everyone wants to take part but just in case:

( ) I do not want to take part.

-----------------------------

In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high,
men were REAL men, women were REAL women, and small furry
creatures from Alpha Centauri were REAL small furry creatures
from Alpha Centauri.
			- Zaphod Beeblebrox -

 Dr. rer. nat. Michael Fellhauer
 profesor asociado / associate professor

 work:

 Departamento de Astronomia
 Universidad de Concepcion
 Casilla 160-C
 Concepcion
 Chile

 office: A-612

 phone : + 56 - (0) 41 - 220 3438
 fax   : + 56 - (0) 41 - 224 4520

 e-mail: mfellhauer at astro-udec.cl

 private:

 Edificio Vista Verde
 Depto. 1907
 Chacabuco 1140
 Concepcion
 Chile

 phone : + 56 - (0) 41 - 31 76 775
 mobile: + 56 - (0) 9 - 828 401 28
 mobile: + 49 - (0) 172 - 613 5202 (German mobile)

 e-mail: m_fellhauer at gmx.de
 skype : mikefellhauer

 `You know they've reintroduced the death penalty for insurance
  company directors?'
 `Really?' said Arthur. `No I didn't. For what offence?'
 Trillian frowned.
 `What do you mean, offence?'
 `I see.'