[MODEST] First Circular Cefalu2014

Giuliana Giobbi giuliana.giobbi at oa-roma.inaf.it
Mon Nov 25 05:56:05 EST 2013

PLEASE CIRCULATE!!!

                               FIRST CIRCULAR AND CALL FOR PAPERS
                               ==================================

                     |                                                 |
                     |      INTERNATIONAL ASTRONOMY MEETING            |
                     |             The Unquiet Universe:               |
                     |    celebrating the 10th Anniversary             |
                     |    of Astronomy Workshops in Cefalu'            |
                     |    Week One: The Distant Universe               |
                     |    Week Two: The Local Universe                 |
                     |              June 2 - 14, 2014                  |
                     |            Cefalu', Sicily (Italy)              |
                     |                                                 |

Cultural Association Cefalù & Astronomy
Astronomical Observatory of Rome - INAF,
Department of Physics and Chemistry - University of Palermo,
Department of Physics - University of Cagliari,
Institute for Space Physics & Planetology - INAF,
Department of Physics - University of Rome La Sapienza, with the help of
Fondazione Mandralisca - Cefalu',
Local Authorities  of the Municipality of Cefalu',

Dear colleague,

the aforementioned institutions, in order to celebrate the tenth
anniversary of
the first Astronomical Cefalu' Meeting ''Interacting Binaries: accretion,
evolution and outcomes, held in Cefalu' in July 2004, are organizing an
International Astronomy Meeting

"THE UNQUIET UNIVERSE: Celebrating the 10th Anniversary
of Astronomy Workshops in Cefalù"

that will be held in Cefalu' from 2 to 14 June 2014.

As we already did in the 2006 meeting, the conference is organized along two
(independent) weeks. This means that it is possible to register for either one
or two weeks.

Scientific Rationale
---------------------

On a very general basis, the leitmotiv is represented by the physics
of compact objects (mainly Neutron Stars and Black Holes, in this case).
Indeed, in recent years, it has emerged very clearly that their formation,
evolution and interaction with the surrounding environment are crucial
ingredients that shape the structure and evolution of the cosmic landscape.
Topics are selected according to their current relevance in Astrophysics
despite the fact that many unsolved issues are still present.
In the first week, for example, we will deal with the problem of understanding
the structure of present-day Galaxies and the role of supermassive Black Holes
in their cosmic evolution.
In the second week, the unsolved mystery of the Type Ia Supernovae
progenitors, of so large cosmological relevance, will be debated,
as well as the still elusive physics of isolated and binary Neutron Stars, and
the behavior and evolution of Galactic systems containing Neutron Stars and
Black Holes.
Several issues interconnect the two weeks: for example GRBs, or SNe,
as stellar phenomena as well as tools for extragalactic analysis,
and indeed the GRB session bridges the two weeks. Moreover a common
trait is the strong variability that characterize the addressed systems
at small and large scales.

Topics

Almost the same title of the first Cefalu conference, held in 2004,The
Local Universe: Interacting Binaries and Isolated Neutron Stars:
accretion, evolution and outcomes'', is the title for the second week
(from 9 to 14 June). For the first week (from 2 to 7 June), we have chosen
"The Distant Universe", recalling the title of another successful Cefalu'
meeting, held in September 2008.

The structure of the meeting and the topics covered will be the following:

The Distant Universe (2 - 7 June, 2014)

- Stellar, Dust and Gas Content in high-z Galaxies
- Deep and Wide-field Multi-wavelength Extragalactic Surveys
- AGN and Galaxy co-evolution across cosmic time
- Positive/Negative AGN Feedback: Observations of AGN Outflows
- Physical Processes of Galaxy Formation
- Ionizing Sources at high redshifts
- Galactic Nuclei and Super Massive Black Holes
- Nuclear Star Clusters formation and evolution
- Resolved Stellar Nuclei in early Type Galaxies
- Stellar Dynamics in Dense Stellar Environments
- Probing high redshift universe with GRBs
- GRBs' host galaxies

The Local Universe (9 - 14 June, 2014)
Interacting Binaries and Isolated Neutron Stars:
accretion, evolution and outcomes

- GRB Prompt and Afterglow: Observations vs theory
- Very High Energy Emission from GRBs
- GRBs: Central Engine Physics and Progenitors of GRBs
- Thermonuclear Supernovae
- Type Ia SNe: progenitor models
- Observational properties of type Ia SNe at low and hight z
- Observations constraining Type Ia SNe pre-explosive history
- Binary and isolated Radio Pulsar
- Observed properties of Millisecond pulsars and evolutive paths
- Temporal variability and spectral properties of Low Mass X-ray Binaries
   and High Mass X-ray Binaries containing black holes and neutron stars
- Neutron stars with the highest magnetic fields
- Future X-ray missions and perspectives for X-ray astronomy

Fees
-----

The registration fee includes welcome cocktails (one per
week), social dinners (one per week), coffee breaks, publication of the
conference proceedings, and social events during the conference.

ONE WEEK:   early  320 euros    late   370 euros
TWO WEEKS:  early  400 euros    late   450 euros

For undergraduate and PhD students we have envisaged a discount of
about 40% on the registration fees:

ONE WEEK:   early  200 euros    late   230 euros
TWO WEEKS:  early  250 euros    late   280 euros

Info about Accommodation and traveling will be made available in due course
on the web page of the meeting:
http://www.oa-roma.inaf.it/meetings/cefalu/2014/

Pre-Registration
----------------

All the interested persons are encouraged to pre-register to the workshop as
soon as possible through the conference webpage. The pre-registration deadline
is JANUARY 31, 2014. We recommend early registration, since the total number
of participants per week cannot exceed 100-120 persons.
Note: we shall close the registration as soon as this limit number
will be reached.

City of Cefalu Prize for Astrophysics
-------------------------------------

The 2014 edition of the Prize will be awarded to a young scientist who
has already obtained a PhD, but not a tenure track, nor a permanent
position. The announcement for the International competition will be
published in the next few weeks in the web page of the meeting.

Scientific Advisory Committee
-----------------------------

First Week

F. Antonini, CITA, Toronto, Canada
D. Burgarella, Lam, Marseille, France
R. Capuzzo Dolcetta, Univ. La Sapienza, Roma, Italy
F. Combes, Obs. Paris, France
R. Davies, MPE, Germany
J. Dunlop, Univ. of Edinburgh, UK
M. Elvis, CFA Harvard, USA
F. Fiore (co-chair) INAF OAR, Rome, Italy
E. Giallongo (co-chair) INAF OAR, Rome, Italy
S. Gillessen, MPE, Garching, Germany
A. Grazian, INAF OAR, Rome, Italy
M. Haehnelt, IoA, Cambridge, UK
P. Madau, Univ. of California, Santa Cruz, USA
M. Merafina, Univ. La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
D. Merritt, Institute of Technology, Rochester, USA
E. Piconcelli, INAF OAR, Rome, Italy

Second Week

L.A. Antonelli, INAF OAR/ASI ASDC, Rome, Italy
A. Bazzano, INAF IAPS, Rome, Italy
L. Burderi, Univ. Cagliari, Italy
D. Chakrabarty - Massachussets Institute of Technology, USA (TBC)
S. Covino, INAF OAB, Brera, Italy
F. D'Antona, INAF OAR, Rome, Italy
T. Di Salvo (co-chair), Univ. Palermo, Italy
A. Fabian - Institute of Astronomy, Cambridge (UK)
Yi-Zhong Fan - Univ. of Chinese Academy of Sciences, Nanjing, China
J. Isern, IEEC, Barcelona, Spain
A. King, Univ. Leicester, UK
M.T. Menna, INAF OAR Rome, Italy
E. Mueller, MPI fur Astrophysik, Garching, Germany
L. Piersanti, INAF OA Teramo, Italy -
L. Piro, INAF IASF, Rome, Italy -
R. Ruffini, ICRA, Univ. La Sapienza Rome, Italy (TBC)
T. Tauris, Argelander Inst., Univ. Bonn, Germany
A. Tornambe' (co-chair), INAF OAR, Rome Italy
P. Ubertini, INAF IAPS, Rome, Italy
E. van den Heuvel, Astr. Inst. A. Pannekoek, Amsterdam, NL (TBC)
E. Waxman, Weizmann Inst., Rehovot, Israel
L. Yungelson, RAS Institute of Astronomy, Moscow, Russia

Local Organizing Committee
---------------------------
L. Burderi (Univ. Cagliari), T. Di Salvo (Chair LOC, Univ. Palermo),
G. Giobbi (INAF-OAR),  F. Gugliuzza (Univ. Palermo),
F. Lupinacci (Univ. La Sapienza, Roma) M.T. Menna (INAF-OAR)

Venue and General Information

As in the preceding editions, the Meeting will take place in the
historical centre of the city of Cefalu', near Palermo, from
June 2 to 14, 2014. Ten whole days will be devoted to the presentation
of the main scientific results of current research work in the selected
areas.

The Meeting will take place in the hall ?Sala delle Capriate?, of the Cefalu'
Municipal Palace (plenary session), and in the rooms of the Historical
building of the Fondazione Mandralisca (poster session and coffee breaks).
Both buildings are located in the centre of Cefalu and are 3 min walk from
each other.

For more general information on Cefalu' workshops, please consult the links in
our WWW page:
http://www.oa-roma.inaf.it/meetings/cefalu/2014/

We ask participants to tell us at the time of registration which will be the
sections (and dates) they are interested in. This is because, as we mentioned
above, we have an upper limit to the number of participants that is
120 participants for each session.

The preliminary list of invited speakers and a tentative programme will be
made available on the web in the next few weeks.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any further information.
See also our webpage:
http://www.oa-roma.inaf.it/meetings/cefalu/2014/

FIFA World Cup

We are aware of the fact that on June 12th the FIFA world championship
in Brazil will start. We will provide the possibility to watch the matches
on a maxi-screen.

Contacts:

e-mail: giuliana.giobbi at oa-roma.inaf.it
Phone: +39-06/942-864-27