[MODEST] newly born: mesa - Modules for Experiments in Stellar Astrophysics

Bill Paxton paxton at kitp.ucsb.edu
Wed Nov 22 11:49:09 EST 2006

Hello,

Piet suggested that I send  this "birth announcement" to the MODEST
email list to let you know about a new community resource that is
just coming on-line.

You might know that I've been working on a new stellar evolution code
to replace EZ.  Along the way I had the good fortune of getting Frank
Timmes involved since I wanted to make use of some of his wonderful
code for the microphysics.  As the pieces of the new system started
to become real, I realized that in this case the parts would probably
be of even more interest than the whole!  So we are making them
available as independent libraries.  And some of them are now making
their first web appearance:

http://theory.kitp.ucsb.edu/~paxton/mesa/mesa_doc/index.html

The name "mesa" stands for modules for experiments in stellar
astrophysics, and eventually we hope to have a complete set
sufficient for doing 1D stellar evolution simulations.  The currently
available modules include both microphysics (nuclear burning,
opacities, eos) and algorithms (fully implicit IBVP solver, monotone
interpolation, etc.).  They are all written in a thread-safe style of
fortran95 in anticipation of the coming revolution in "personal
parallel computing" based on shared memory multiprocessors.  (The eos
is not quiet thread-safe yet, but it will be soon.)

Obviously this is an "alpha" release in the sense that things are
still in need of polishing.  But the underlying algorithms and
microphysics are all pretty much standard stuff, now put together in
a manner that will hopefully make them easier to use as building-
blocks.  As Stephen Justham put it, "the code is coming in kit form
as well as assembled... more to play with!"

We've checked things on PowerPC and Intel Macs using g95, ifort, xlf,
and a few other compilers.  Help would be appreciated with a similar
check on linux boxes with various compilers -- if you are willing,
the "mesa mebdfi" package would be a good test case (it's the IBVP
solver module).

Thanks in advance,
Bill