[MODEST] MODEST-7c

Steve McMillan steve at physics.drexel.edu
Wed Apr 12 15:01:33 EDT 2006

Dear Modest Astronomer,

    We are planning a second MODEST "frameworks" meeting as a follow-up
to the recent Amsterdam MODEST-6d workshop.  It is scheduled to take
place in Philadelphia on September 15, 2006.

    During the last year we have begun to experiment with different
methods of tying together modules modeling stellar dynamics, stellar
evolution, and stellar collisions within a high-level programming
environment. First results of this effort can be found on the MUSE wiki
page (the link will appear soon on the MODEST web site). However, it is
clear that integration of programs written in many different languages,
and describing many different complex physical processes, is itself a
very complex task, and not unique to our field. We will invite experts
with hands-on expertise in building frameworks in different ares of
computational science. Their presentations will form the foundation for
a group discussion of constructing frameworks for modeling, analyzing,
and visualizing dense stellar systems in astrophysics.

    As usual, admission is free, but please send me e-mail
<mailto:steve at physics.drexel.edu> if you are interested in attending, so
that we can estimate the likely number of participants.

Steve McMillan

--
Stephen L. W. McMillan, Professor of Physics, Drexel University
+1 215-895-2723, FAX +1 215-895-5934, steve at physics.drexel.edu