[MODEST] (no subject)

E. Vesperini vesperin at einstein.physics.drexel.edu
Mon Nov 14 17:39:32 EST 2005

Dear MODEST participant,

     As you probably know, each year the Kavli Institute for Theoretical
Physics (KITP) in Santa Barbara organizes a number of programs allowing
people to spend a few months there to work and collaborate on a given
topic.  We think it would be a good idea to apply for a MODEST-related
program to be held in 2008.  We believe that this would represent a
golden opportunity for MODEST-inclined researchers to spend more than
just a few days together, start new collaborations, and work together on
some of the important issues discussed during the MODEST workshops.

     However, before applying we would like to gauge just how much
interest there is in having such a program.

     We think the optimal program would be 2 months long (the choice is
2 or 5), although it seems quite unlikely that we will be able to pick
the actual months when we apply.  While the main organizers (still to be
decided) are expected to spend the whole period in Santa Barbara, that
is not required for the participants.  However, for the program to be
successful people should be willing to commit at least three weeks.

     We realize it is difficult to make plans three years in advance,
but we would very much like to know whether you are interested in this
opportunity, and ask that you reply to this e-mail and answer the
following questions:

1) Are you interested in a MODEST-related KITP program?
2) Do you think you could spend at least three weeks in Santa Barbara
during the program?
3) Which months would you prefer?
4) What topics would you be most interested in?
5) Do you have any other comments or suggestions?

     Since the deadline for pre-proposal submission is in about two
weeks, we would like to hear from you as soon as possible.  Thanks in
advance for your help.

Best Regards,

Enrico Vesperini
Steve McMillan