[MODEST] MODEST-5d meeting in Princeton, April 7, 2005

Piet Hut piet at ias.edu
Thu Feb 10 10:09:53 EST 2005

Dear MODEST colleagues:

We will organize a one-day MODEST satellite workshop on

   Visualization of Simulations in Dense Stellar Systems
on
   Thursday, April 7, 10am - 5pm
at
   the Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton, NJ, USA

See the MODEST web site, or go directly
   http://www.manybody.org/modest/Workshops/modest-5d.html

(with the pretty picture courtesy of Steve McMillan)

As usual with MODEST meetings: everything will be very
informal, mostly just rounds of discussions.  Here is a
short summary, from the above web page:

  We will hold an informal one-day workshop, to discuss various
  issues in connection with visualization of simulations of dense
  stellar systems.  This meeting will be of interest especially for
  astrophysicists working on these type of simulations, and
  computer scientists interested in applying visualization
  techniques to novel areas.

  The fact that particles in dense stellar systems simulations have
  individual time steps already requires the development of special
  techniques to allow efficient and flexible rendering of orbits in
  movies and interactive graphic displays.  In addition, when stars
  carry physical properties, such as temperature and luminosity, it is
  interesting to plot simultaneously orbital information as well as,
  say, a Hertzsprung-Russell Diagram and other physical diagnostics.
  This invites the development of an integrated visualization
  environment, taylored or at least adapted to simulations of dense
  stellar systems.

  We will discuss the availability of existing packages, as well as
  plans for extending and adapting those packages.  Specification of
  interfaces will be an important topic, as well as the general
  question of making N visualization packages and M simulation codes
  compatible in a way that requires N+M rather than N*M adjustments.

  The meeting is open to all who are interested.

  Some confirmed participants:

            Hans-Peter Bischof
            Toshi Fukushige
            Douglas Heggie
            Piet Hut
            James Lombardie
            Jun Makino
            Ernest Mamikonyan
            Steve McMillan
            Peter Teuben
            Enrico Vesperini

Looking forward to seeing you in Princeton in eight weeks,

Piet

  Piet Hut                              email: piet at ias.edu
  Institute for Advanced Study          tel.:  (609)734-8075
  1 Einstein Drive                      fax:   (609)951-4489
  Princeton, NJ 08540-0631              web:   http://www.ids.ias.edu/~piet