[MODEST] MODEST 5c summer school july 2005

Simon Portegies Zwart spz at science.uva.nl
Tue Sep 21 06:31:35 EDT 2004

This is a first announcement for the MODEST-5c 6-day Master Class on
                    the art of computational N-body dynamics

The school will be held from July 24 to July 30 in Amsterdam, the
Netherlands. Lectures are given in English at the Astronomical
Institute 'Anton Pannekoek' and at the Section Computational Science
of the University of Amsterdam, Kruislaan 403, 1098SJ Amsterdam.
For details see: http://carol.science.uva.nl/~spz/act/modest5c/

The main topic of the school:
     The proposed educational program will be presented at the
     graduate student level in the specialization of gravitational
     N-body dynamics. After successfully finishing the course, the
     student will be able to read and understand scientific papers on
     high-precision stellar dynamics and be able to start research in
     this field.

Location:
     Astronomical Institute 'Anton Pannekoek' and Section Computational
science
     University of Amsterdam
     Kruislaan 403
     1098 SH, Amsterdam

Who can apply:
     Advanced master students (a letter of their supervisor is
     required), PhD students and young post doctoral researchers
     starting up in the field.

Main aim:
     The aim of this school is to educate the participants in the art
     of computational N-body dynamics through a hands-on approach,
     which includes mastering numerical techniques and algorithms for
     solving second order differential equations; in particular
     Newtons' equation of gravity. Applications will be in
     gravitational dynamics, which includes planetary dynamics, star
     cluster evolution, galaxy formation and cosmology.

Teachers:
     During the master class lectures will be given by a number of
     leaders in the field of simulating dense stellar systems; they are:
     -Douglas Heggie (http://www.maths.ed.ac.uk/~douglas/)
     -Piet Hut (http://www.ids.ias.edu/~piet/)
     -Jun Makino (http://grape.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~makino)
     -Steven McMillan (http://www.physics.drexel.edu/~steve/)
     -Simon Portegies Zwart (http://carol.science.uva.nl/~spz/)
     -Peter Teuben (http://www.astro.umd.edu/~teuben/)

Accommodation:
     We have made a block booking at the Stayokay Hostel.
     Zandpad 4
     1054 GA Amsterdam
     tel. +31 (0)20 5898993
     email: groups at voldenpark.stayokay.com
     url: http://www.stayokay.com

     The rooms are shared with other students, include breakfast and
     dinner for 33 Euro/night.

     If you wish to have more privacy, we recommend that you contact
     the administration of the astronomical institute
     (secr-astro at science.uva.nl) to make a reservation in one of the
     following:
       Hotel Rembrandt: http://www.hotelrembrandt.nl/
       Hotel Bridge: http://www.thebridgehotel.nl/
     Rooms in either hotel go for about 100 Euro per night, including
     breakfast.

Estimated cost:
     Entrance fee for the school is 250Euro.

     However, we offer a limited number of grants which include a
     waiver for the entrance fee and a partial refund of travel and/or
     local expenses.  One can apply for such a grant by sending an
     email with a description of the reasons for the grant request (not
     to exceed 500 words) to spz at science.uva.nl.

     Travel expenses and local (housing, transportation and meals) are
     on the students own expenses. We arrange for relatively cheap
     housing, provide a list of reasonable restaurants in the
     neighborhood and arrange for rental bicycles.

What to bring:
      We recomment that participants bring their own (LINUX or MAC-OS)
      laptop. There will be a wire(less) network at the school and
      software which will be used during the school will be available
      on CD ROM.

More information:
     Details can be found via the manybody.org website
     (http://manybody.org) or directly at the MODEST-5c website at
     http://carol.science.uva.nl/~spz/act/modest5c/

Sign-up:
     Send an email to: Simon Portegies Zwart at spz at science.uva.nl