[MODEST] MODEST as European Research Training Network?

Ralf Klessen rklessen at aip.de
Mon Jan 13 05:46:29 EST 2003

Dear Members of the MODEST Group:

I would like to bring to your attention the opportunities offered by
the new 6th Framework Programme (FP6) for Research, Technological
Development and Demonstration of the European Union.

Within FP6, the European Commission funds collaborative research and
research training projects involving partners from different EU and
associated states. The MODEST project would be well suited for
applying for funding as a Marie Curie Research Training Network
(RTN). These networks have been integral parts of the European
research and research training policy during the last decades (old
names are TMR or RTN). Typical networks involve between 6 to 10
institutes, and the EU provides funding for postdoc and PhD positions
and for mutual visits and workshops.

The cardinal idea is to have groups at several institutions that have
a common scientific goal (in our case understanding star cluster
evolution in all its aspects), each group working in close
collaboration with the others on different facets of the whole
problem. The EU does not provide money for research alone, it provides
money for RESEARCH TRAINING. That means the collaborative aspect,
mutual visits and workshops, and education and training of PhD's and
postdoc, all are pivotal points of the MC-RTN's.

New in FP6 is that also groups from non-EU states (say US, Canada,
Japan, in our case) can participate, and that certain other
restrictions that applied to FP5 (the previous one) are now relaxed.

Preparing a proposal to EC for funding for a MC-RTN on Star Cluster
Evolution and Formation means LOTS OF WORK. There is a gazillion of
rule and formalities that have to be taken into account. But it also
would (if successful) be very rewarding. (Inofficial word says that
roughly 50% of all proposals that make it through the jungle of rules
and regulations are funded.) Total funding time is 3 years, the budget
so far was up to 2 million Euros, but in FP6 could be more. (All of
FP6 includes 17 billion Euros.) The next deadlines for calls for
proposal are in May and then in September.

Further information can be obtained from the CORDIS webpage of the EC:

http://www.cordis.lu/fp6
http://fp6.cordis.lu/fp6/calls.cfm

With this mail, I would like to ask whether there is interest in
building up an EU funded network on star cluster evolution. Again,
this would mean quite a lot for work (especially for the coordinator),
but could be very rewarding in terms of positions and travel and
workshop money. Please let me know your thoughts and interests.
If there is the wish to bring in a proposal, we should aim for
the September deadline.

With best greetings,

Ralf

Ralf Klessen
AIP -- Astrophysikalisches Institut Potsdam
An der Sternwarte 16                       Tel: +49 (331) 7499-428
D-14482 Potsdam                            Fax: +49 (331) 7499-429
Germany                                    E-Mail: rklessen at aip.de
                                           http://www.aip.de/~ralf