[MODEST] some MODEST news items

Piet Hut piet at ias.edu
Wed Aug 27 10:05:11 EDT 2003

Dear MODEST colleague,

    Here is a brief summary of some recent MODEST developments and
events.

    The MODEST-3 workshop was held at Monash University in Melbourne,
from July 9-11, immediately preceding the IAU General Assembly in
Sydney.  We had 36 participants, including 22 speakers.  We are in the
process of gathering abstracts, which we will put on the workshop
web site

	http://www.manybody.org/modest/Workshops/modest-3.html

where you can also find other information about the meeting.  We thank
Rosemary Mardling for hosting and co-organizing the workshop and
related events.

    Following the discussions on the final day of the workshop, we
have made numerous changes to the MODEST web site.  These include:

* A new Working Group 9, on Observations, coordinated by Giampaolo
  Piotto:

	http://www.manybody.org/modest/WG/wg9.html

* A small FAQ page, to which we invite contributions and comments:

	http://www.manybody.org/modest/faq.html

* A "Jobs" page for posting positions in the general area of dense
  stellar systems:

	http://www.manybody.org/modest/jobs.html

* A "Projects" page, where anyone can post questions, comments, and
  "crazy ideas" that might be of interest to the MODEST community:

	http://www.manybody.org/modest/projects.html

* Reorganization and expansion of the demo links on the main page:

	http://www.manybody.org/modest

All these new pages are still in very rudimentary form, and require
your input to work.  Suggestions and contributions should be mailed to
the MODEST webmaster Steve McMillan (steve at kepler.physics.drexel.edu).

    Finally, just a reminder that MODEST-4 is scheduled to take place
from January 12-14, 2004, in Geneva/Lausanne, Switzerland.  For
further information, please contact Georges Meylan at
gmeylan at stsci.edu.  The workshop web page

	http://www.manybody.org/modest/Workshops/modest-4.html

will be active soon.

    We look forward to hearing your reactions to the changes we have
made.

Steve McMillan
Piet Hut