[MODEST] Participation at MODEST

fausti at if.ufrgs.br fausti at if.ufrgs.br
Wed Aug 21 15:24:50 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: Horacio Dottori
To: MODEST at donar.cv.nrao.edu
Cc: fausti at pcastro11.if.ufrgs.br ; dottori at if1.if.ufrgs.br
Sent: Monday, August 19, 2002 11:44 PM
Subject: Participation at MODEST

Dear Dr Zwart, We are very interested to take part at MODEST
discussions. We are modeling the evolution of clusters in the MW field.
Of special interest for this meeting would be the case of M92, for which
the extra tidal tail extentions have been traced accuratelly from
photometric observations (Testa et al.). Since the spatial velocity is
also know, we have reproduced with N-Body simulations the presently
observed  extra-tidal matter ditribution with a good accuracy, taking
the evolution during the last 1-2Gyr of a Plummer spheroid in the field
of the Galaxy,  represented by an analitical (Sonera) model plus
dynamical friction.  We are at this time making corrections recommeded
by the referee. Among other things, we are trying to introduce
analitically in the GADGET code analitically 2-body interactions, which
would speed up substantially the code performance. It would very
important for us the participation of my PhD student Angelo Fausti, who
is a very interested an clever young person. He is very good in C
programming and has good expertise with a PCs cluster too. He is the
manager of our 16 Athlon processors cluster.  He could help to develop
softwares "in real time" during the meeting.  Our main problem is that
at the time the brazilian economic situation is too hard, at it would be
extremely difficult if not impossible to get support for Angelo´s travel
and expenses in Europe. So I ask you on the possibility of getting
economical support from the meeting or some european agency for Angelo
to participate at  MODEST. I´m quite sure that he will be very helpful
for the meeting aims.

yours sincerely,

                            Horacio Dottori