[Mnj] Mac OS and 31DEC16

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Sep 28 12:25:47 EDT 2016

We have a new Mac which will compute the load modules and the
like for 31DEC16.  The Intel compiler suite has an option to
specify the Mac OS version at which it compiles and link edits.
We have set this to 10.7 - so all 64-bit Macs running 10.7 or
later versions (El Capitan is 10.11) should be able to run the
new load modules.  We are not quite ready to release this
version - which will cause a massive MNJ - and I will send out
a warning when we do.  This is a warning to run MNJs soon if
you want to stay with the 32-bit 10.4 version for now.

The shipping numbers for the 31DEC16 release are well behind
those of last year.  I urge people to update to this new
release to get a number of bug fixes plus a variety of new
tasks.  Several new interactive tasks have been accompanied
by AIPS Memos describing how to use them.  It really is
unwise for sites to continue with old releases which contain
known bugs or deficiencies.  Installing AIPS is not hard when
you have already got a working older version.

There is a computer named fusion00 at aips at naic.edu which runs a
MNJ on 31DEC10 once a week and sends me its error reports.  MNJs
work correctly only on the latest release and occasionally on the
previous release (31DEC15 at present) when it is patched.  It would
be nice if this site updated to the much more capable current release
- or at least stopped sending me error reports.  Do not set up a
cron-driven MNJ from an account for which no one reads the e-mail
please.

Eric Greisen