[Mnj] FITS IDI and patch

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Aug 14 11:04:34 EDT 2008

I have issued another patch to the 31DEC07 AIPS affecting adverbs FPOS
and GPOS which are not simply image pixels as I had thought.  The patch
info may be found starting at
         http://www.aipc.nrao.edu/
or a MNJ on 31DEC07 will update your installation.

The FITS Interferometry Data Interchange Format (really a convention
rather than a format) was documented in AIPS Memo 102 by Flatters
      http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~egreisen/AIPSMEMO102.PS
He did not leave us a document that could be edited, however, so it has
been necessary for me to re-type this large document in LaTeX.  In so
doing, I updated some introductory material, corrected/changed some
wordings, and added 4 more tables two of which are in use that I know
about.  Interested parties should examine the draft
      http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~egreisen/AM113.ps
In the draft I have attempted to highlight the changes with red color
type rather than the old wordings which are in black.  Please pass on
this information to anyone you think might be affected and, if you are
interested, read the documents and pass on your comments to me.

This convention is used by a number of correlators around the world, but
I do not have a list of them.  The convention will be sent on to the IAU
FITS Committee for comment and eventually acknowledgment as a known
convention.

Thanks,

Eric Greisen