[mmaimcal] ALMA reaches its higher resolution modes

awootten awootten at nrao.edu
Thu Nov 6 07:31:59 EST 2014

Folks,

I'm unsure how many of these emails still function.  As you may know,
ALMA reached the end of construction on the schedule and budget agreed
by the partners and their funding agencies on 2014 September 30.  We all
appreciate the efforts you put in to bring this about.  A late stage of
development has been to implement the long baselines, which have
demanding infrastructure and implementation needs.  However, the team in
Chile led by Stuartt Corder, Tony Remijan, Cat Vlahakis and aided by
many others has produced some spectacular results, one of which was the
subject of a press release today.

In my wildest dreams I never thought the long baselines would produce
such stupendous results so quickly upon using them.  The image looks
better than the simulations Lee Mundy and colleagues made in the 90s.
Congratulations to the team!

https://public.nrao.edu/news/pressreleases/planet-formation-alma

NSF/NRAO Google Hangout to discuss these findings (6 November 2014; 10
a.m. E.S.T.):

https://plus.google.com/events/ceul1hkj60se5uts2u75rgqe7rc