[mmaimcal] ALMA Science Verification

Al Wootten awootten at nrao.edu
Wed Jan 12 11:31:09 EST 2011

Folks,

Happy New Decade, one which we could call the Decade of ALMA.  I have
found that some folks here at the AAS have not received notification of
the Plan for ALMA Early Science Cycle 0 so I am taking the liberty of
sending it to these lists.

Please see the Plan for ALMA Early Science Cycle 0 described at:
http://science.nrao.edu/alma/preannounce-full.shtml

An element of this is the ALMA Science Verification Program, which I
would particularly like to call to your attention.

ALMA has been producing some very convincing test data, examples of
which may be viewed at
http://www.almaobservatory.org/en/visuals/images/?g2_itemId=2784

The first release of ALMA test data to the astronomy community will be
through the Science Verification program. Science Verification will
involve observations of objects designed to test ALMA systems and
confirm their performance. The first data from these tests will be
available by the time of the ALMA Early Science Cycle 0 Call for
Proposals. Follow the link at
http://www.almaobservatory.org/en/announcements-events/251-alma-scientif
included on the first above page for more information
on the Science Verification program and how to contribute.