[mmaimcal] [Almasci_chile] Some thoughts on ALMA calibrator sources

Ruediger Kneissl rkneissl at alma.cl
Sun May 9 18:13:27 EDT 2010

Hi Harvey,

I agree that the AT survey is useful, particularly with the ATCA 90 GHz
follow-up that is ongoing and pretty advanced, I think. Also Planck, which has
completed the first all-sky survey, will be good.

The 3-sigma detection limit at 150 GHz has been estimated initially (Bluebook)
to 26 mJy. So based on your prediction that would be more than 4000 sources,
soon and directly with good flux estimates. Of course the position accuracy is
limited and lower frequency counterparts are being used for this. There is
also a monitoring campaign ongoing between ATCA and Planck, and with ALMA we
should soon be able to take some part in this for the higher frequencies. This
will be very interesting for cross-calibration with the ~ 1% absolute
calibration that Planck is aiming to achieve.

I will be talking about some of these prospects in the science talk on Thursday.

Best,
Ruediger

--
Rüdiger Kneissl
DSO Astronomer

On Sun, May 9, 2010 2:35 pm, Harvey Liszt wrote:
> Something to keep boredom at bay. Attached.

> --
> Harvey S. Liszt                       work:+1 434.296.0344 fax 0278
Scientist & Spectrum Manager          home:+1 434.973.3744
520 Edgemont Road                     mailto:hliszt at nrao.edu