[mmaimcal] Implementation of ALMA correlator multi-resolution modes

Bryan Butler bbutler at nrao.edu
Tue May 4 11:02:54 EDT 2010

we have already had a number of proposals for EVLA that use what i think
you're referring to as "multi-resolution" modes.

any time you want to resolve a very narrow line (masers, the ammonia
hyperfine transitions, etc.), that has continuum associated with it is
going to want this kind of mode (some narrow-band subbands and some
wide-band ones).

so i think you definitely want the capability of specifying different
bandwidths and resolutions between subbands.

i don't think you would ever need the flexibility of specifying
different numbers of polarization products within the subbands, or at
least i can't think of a use case for that.

i also don't think you need different sampling characteristics between
subbands (nyquist or number of bits).

	-bryan