[mmaimcal] ALMA Sci IPT telecon 2008-9-17 14:30 UT

Al Wootten awootten at nrao.edu
Mon Sep 22 15:44:33 EDT 2008

Folks,

Thanks for attending the Science IPT telecon last week.  Much of what
we discussed is on the agenda--with so much travel and so many timezones
involved with ALMA I think a wordy agenda helps us stay in communication.

Some material was not written out or attached to the agenda.  Tetsuo
Hasegawa has provided us, via Richard, with an Informal Report on the ACA 7m
PPDR, which we discussed.  That report is incorporated into the otherwise quite
skimpy meeting notes (sorry I cannot talk and write at the same time!) which
I placed at:
https://wikio.nrao.edu/bin/view/ALMA/17Sept08notes

As an aside, an article written by a journalist who recently visited the
ALMA site has appeared on the Popular Mechanics website as part of their
"Extreme Machines" series.  It was picked up by Yahoo News this am and they
expect over a million hits as a result.

Be one of the million!  Go to:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/extreme_machines/4283382.html

(They do not have plans for a print article at this time.)
   My colleague in Santiago, Sergio Cabezon. guided the visitor.  Note: The
antenna figure caption has an error: "The first two North
American-provided ALMA antennas are 90 percent complete and have been
moved outside, like the one from Europe pictured at right."

Actually, the antenna pictured is from NAOJ, I believe.

| Alwyn  Wootten   (http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~awootten/)	 |
| Project Scientist, Atacama Large Millimeter Array/US   |
| Astronomer, National Radio Astronomy Observatory       |
| 520 Edgemont Road, Charlottesville, VA 22903-2475, USA |
| (434)-296-0329 voice             (434)-242-4713 cell   |
| (434)-296-0278 FAX               Help us build ALMA    |