[mmaimcal] Meeting tomorrow

Al Wootten awootten at nrao.edu
Mon May 21 12:36:26 EDT 2007

Folks,

I should have noted the wording of the proposed change:
As an indication, we propose a base level of 8dB image gain, with 7dB allowed
in 10% of the frequency span of any IF band.

For discussion (see all the words below):
Should the base level remain 10 dB image gain, with 7dB allowed in 5% (10%?) of
the band?  Or should it be lowered overall as proposed, which affects system
noise by letting more sky noise in through the other sideband?  Lazareff
provides an illustration whereby the fiddling required to meet the SB
spec increased system noise by 20K.

If I did my numbers right, if a receiver had 8dB rejection rather than 10 dB
I'd expect it to have about a 2% increase in Tsys (about 4K) and a little over
3% for 7dB.